Skip to main content

You have likely heard the talk around town about the challenges in securing a Canadian study permit. The process has become more demanding, but here is some positive news for you. As the saying goes, tough times never last, but tough people do. The team at My Japa Limited are resilient people, and we are here to guide you through this daunting application process and be the bridge between you and your Canadian study permit. If you prefer taking the reins and navigating the Canadian study permit journey independently, fret not!


This DIY article provides a step-by-step guide to empower you in securing your study permit. From the initial stages of admission processing to the final steps of the study permit application, we have got you covered. Curious about our success? Dive into the following paragraphs, and we will reveal the key strategies that keep us at the forefront of the game. Consider this your guide to mastering the Canadian study permit application on your terms.

The first step of every japa process for us is the CONSULTATION STAGE. This stage is vital for us to get to know you. Every information you give us at this stage helps us throughout the process. Often during these consultations, we ask questions such as:

  1. What is your course of interest?
  2. Why this course?
  3. What was your previous course of study? (If going for a postgraduate program)
  4. What do you do for a living, and how many years of work experience do you have?
  5. What is your annual income?
  6. What is your financial budget for this process?
  7. Are you self-sponsoring or using a sponsor?
  8. Are you going with a dependent?
  9. What intake are you looking at?
  10. What is the end goal of this process? Are you going for relocation purposes or to study and come back?

These questions are essential throughout the process, not just for the school admission. When you get to the study permit application stage, especially when writing your Letter of Intent, you will see how relevant these questions are. They also help us assess your profile to move on to the next stage of GATHERING SCHOOL OPTIONS. At this stage, the designated advisor for you (yes, we have a team of decorated and knowledgeable study advisors who will walk with you throughout this journey) puts together a document containing options of schools for you to choose from. The school options depend on the information you provided during the consultation. They are carefully selected to suit your Japa needs.


Once the options are selected, we share them with you to pick the schools of your choice, at least two, and then we apply to them on your behalf. For school applications, the key required documents are:

  1. Certificate from previous program of study (WAEC/NECO, B.Sc, HND, M.Sc).
  2. Transcript from your first degree (for Postgraduate)
  3. International Passport.
  4. CV/Resume.
  5. Personal Statement.

Not all schools in Canada require a personal statement for the application process, but most do. Your statement is an opportunity for you to showcase yourself to the school. It will include vital information such as your academic and professional backgrounds, why you have chosen your desired course of study, and why you have chosen to undergo the program in that specific school. Take this chance to convey your passion for the field of study. Share specific experiences or challenges that fueled your interest and shaped your academic journey. Discuss any relevant projects, internships, or research highlighting your commitment and capability in the field. Moreover, do not hesitate to emphasize how the program aligns with your long-term goals. Whether you aspire to contribute to groundbreaking research, address societal challenges, or excel in a specific industry, articulate how the program offerings and the school environment are integral to your success.

Now that you have applied and gotten your admission, congratulations, it is time to apply for your Canadian study permit journey. 

A study permit is a document issued by the IRCC that allows foreign nationals to study at a designated learning institution in Canada. Some people would call this a visa, but they are not the same thing. The visa grants you entry into Canada, while the permit allows you to stay in Canada for the designated period of study. Do not worry! You do not have to apply for both; once you have the permit, you will also get the visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA). Either one of them can grant you entry into Canada. Now that you know what a study permit is, let us begin your CANADIAN STUDY PERMIT JOURNEY.

Usually, when applying for a study permit, you always want to be sure you are eligible for it. So, look at this checklist and tick the item that applies to you. Eligibility Checklist: 

  • I have an admission into a Canadian designated learning, and I have my Letter of Acceptance from it.
  • I/My Sponsor have/has enough money to pay my tuition fee and cover living expenses for myself and any family member(s) who will travel with me to Canada.
  • I have a strong tie to my home, usually family, but most preferably a job, business, or landed properties. To convince the embassy that you have a vital reason(s) to return home after studying.
  • I have checked the IRCC portal and have all the documents required for the application.
  • I obey the law in my country and have no criminal record. 
  • I am in good health.


If you have ticked all items on this checklist, you are eligible. The next thing you have to do is DOCUMENTATION. At this stage, you start to compile all required and necessary documents for application. We usually compress all documents into various PDF files and title them by what they contain, like FINANCIAL SUPPORTING DOC. CLIENT INFOe.t.c. It will help you present your documents neatly, clearly, and well organized. Remember, your application process going well depends on how you prepare and present your documents.

There are different documents, depending on the peculiarity of your situation, that you need for your Canadian study permit journey. To know which documents apply to you, create an IRCC secure account and obtain a GCKey User ID and Password. After this, log in to your GCKey account and find the APPLY TO COME TO CANADA section. After answering the questions correctly, you will get a personalized list of documents needed for your application. It’s important to note that while the required documents may vary based on your answers, there are some documents that everyone needs to provide.

These documents are:

  1. The IMMIGRATION Forms
  2. The Client Information Documents include educational documents, means of identification, and a police Character Certificate.
  3. Proof of funds through the financial documents.

The application Forms that generally should be filled out include:

a. Application for Study Permit Made Outside of Canada. (IMM 1294)

b. Family Information Form (IMM 5645 or IMM 5707)

c. Application for a Temporary Resident Visa made outside Canada. (IMM5257 Schedule 1). It is an optional form but highly recommended for those applying for a study permit from outside Canada

  • A recent passport photograph (white background).
  • A valid passport or travel document and all other previous passports to show travel history.
  • International Passport data page.
  • Language test results IELTS, TOEFL where applicable
  • Letter of Acceptance from a designated learning institution or a post-secondary designated learning institution.
  • Study Plan Letter/Letter of Intent.
  • Tuition Receipts.
  • Degree Certificate.
  • Degree Transcript.
  • WAEC Result.
  • Resume.
  • Recommendation letters.
  • Police Character Certificate.
  • Upfront Medical Report Sheet.
  • Professional Certifications, if applicable.
  • Birth certificate.
  • NIN Slip.
  • All your current visa pages over the last five years.
  • Previous visa or study permit refusal letter from Canada or any other country.
  • Family marriage certificate/divorce letter and child birth certificate, where necessary.
  • Family photographs 


  • Tuition deposit payment receipts.
  • A minimum of six months worth of financial documents are required. 
  • Letter of Introduction from your Bank.
  • Evidence of landed properties, investment statements, fixed deposits, shares, etc.
  • Letter of Sponsorship, if using a sponsor.
  • Means of income (e.g. business document, invoices from proceeds of the business, evidence of employment, e.g. pay slip, employment offer letter)

If you would be going with a dependent, a child or your spouse, you would also need the following documents prepared before you start applying:

  • Academic credentials of dependents following.
  • Resume.
  • Proof of funds for a minimum of 6 months. 
  • Your dependents Means of identification like an International passport, national ID card, NIN, etc.
  • Your kid’s letter of attestation from school.
  • Your kid’s Certificate/Transcript.
  • A company introduction letter, if applicable.
  • Your dependent’s current visa pages over the last five years.
  • Previous Canada refusal letter, where necessary.
  • Means of income (e.g. business ownership document, evidence of employment, e.g. pay slip or employment evidence).
  • Proof of relationship between applicant and dependent (e.g. birth certificate, marriage certificate).
  • Letter of Introduction from the workplace, Promotion letter, employment offer letter.
  • Recommendation Letter.
  • Letter of Introduction from your Bank.
  • Evidence of landed properties, investment statements, fixed deposits, and shares.


It is worth noting that your proof of sufficient funds must cover your tuition and living expenses for at least one year in Canada. In addition to the cost of tuition, you should have at least CAD 20,635 available to cover your living expenses; if travelling with your spouse or partner, you must add a minimum requirement of CAD 5,055 and CAD 5,893 for each accompanying dependent child. If using a sponsor, preferably should be your parent, spouse/partner, or employer, you will need to show proof of relationship and their source of income.

You could also have multiple sponsors, like parents plus spouse or parents plus partial scholarship. Your sponsor should not just have the precise amount you need for your tuition and living expenses in the account. They should have that amount over what you need. Even if they are your parents, it will not be convincing to say that all they have is what they give you. They have other financial obligations as well. You can explain this in your Letter of Intent.


In your Letter of Intent, similar to your statement for school admission processing, you can explain each document enclosed in your application, where necessary. This letter of intent is more like the interview you do for visa processing when applying to other countries like the USA. But this time, you are not in front of a visa officer asking questions about yourself. Instead, you are asking yourself these questions and putting down the honest answers in a letter. When writing your letter of intent, you should start by talking about yourself and your academic and professional background, but there is no exact structure. We advise that you show progression. You should also ask yourself these questions and have detailed answers for them:

  1. What has inspired me to go on this academic journey?
  2. Why did I choose to study in Canada?
  3. Why have I applied to the program and school?
  4. What are my plans after this program in Canada is over?
  5. How do I intend to fund this journey?

If you can comfortably and honestly provide detailed answers to these questions, you have successfully shown the Visa Officer that you are a worthy recipient of a Canadian study permit. Ensure that your letter is structured, clear, and concise.

There are other things to note when starting your Canadian study permit journey, and they include:

  1. Include a certified translation with any document not in English or French.
  2. You may be required to take medical tests for study programs exceeding six months. Medical results may take up to 4 weeks, so you should book early for your results to come out early.
  3. Payment of administration or tuition fees is done entirely at your own risk.
  4. Do not finalize travel plans unless you have received your study permit.
  5. A parent or legal guardian will sign for a minor child.
  6. Failure to submit all required documentation may result in refusal of your application or processing delays.
  7. False statements,non-declaration of past visa refusals, or submission of fraudulent documents will result in refusal and even lead to legal actions against you and a ban on future applications.

Now that you have submitted your application, your fate is now in the hands of the visa officer. But fear not! If you carefully follow the steps and instructions above, chances are that you will be doing the #SnowChallenge in December. 

If you need more information or help with your application, you can contact us Here.